26th January is the day our “constitution” was created and it is on this day that we should remember that we are a great democratic country and revisit our own personal “constitution” of life.A “constitution” is a tool that helps us lay down what we feel we stand for, it helps uphold our values, beliefs, rights and freedom. Each child has a right and it is the right of every child to have a happy, stress free, safe and nurtured childhood. To nurture children, we adults need to be free of stress, feel safe, be happy with ourselves, and feel nurtured. And definitely do three things with your children on Republic Day.
- Watch the republic day parade on television with your child and family; if possible go and experience the live one in Delhi.
- Talk to children about Dr B. R. Ambedkar the father and architect of our constitution.
- Introduce your child to the person who wrote our constitution too. The original constitution of India was hand written by Prem Behari Narain Raizada, in his impeccable calligraphy.
- Also mention about the artwork lavished in our original constitution is that of the most eminent painter Nandalal Bose.
How about making your own family constitution this Republic day? Maybe write it in calligraphy and have your children do the artwork and frame it and hang it for all to see. Your family constitution can be the rules and rights that you want for each family member. Try it, it can be fun.
And here are 26 reasons to be proud to be an Indian-
1. India has never invaded any country in it's last 10000 years of history.
2. India is one of the most ancient surviving civilizations.
3. India is the world's fifth largest economy.
4. India is the world's largest democracy.
5. India is the seventh largest country in the world.
6. India is one of the world's top ten industrial powers.
7. India has the world's largest film industry - bollywood - which produces about 1000 movies each year.
8. India has the third largest university system.
9. The fourth largest rail network is in india.
10. India has the second most arable land.
11. The number system was invented in india. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
12. The world's first university was established in Takshila (India) in 700 bc, where more than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects.
13. The University of Nalanda built in the fourth century bc was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
14. Ayurveda, discovered in India, is the earliest form of medicine known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2,500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast gaining its rightful place in our civilization.
15. The art of navigation was developed in the river Sindh 6,000 years ago.the very word navigation is derived from the sanskrit word Navgatih. The word Navy is also derived from sanskrit Nou.
16. Bhaskaracharya in the fifth century calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before astronomer Smart, to be 365.258756484 days.
17. The value of "pi" was first calculated by Budhayana before Pythagoras.he discovered this in the sixth century long before European mathematicians.
18. Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus came from India.
19. Quadratic equations were made by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 1,053,91 0 to the power of 53 with specific names as early as 5,000 bc during the vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is tera 1,012,910 to the power of 12.
20. According to the gemological institute of America, up until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world.
21. USA based IEEE has proved that the pioneer of wireless communication was Prof. Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.
22. The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.
23. Chess (shataranj or ashtapada) was invented in India.
24. Sushruta is the father of surgery 2,000 years ago. He and health scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like caesareans, cataract, joining artificial limb, fractures, urinary stones removal, plastic surgery, and even brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well-known in ancient India, over 125 surgical equipment were used. Deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient texts.
25. The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 bc. When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5,000 years ago,
26. India was one of the richest countries on earth until the British invasion in the early 17th century.
Lets work together and bring up stronger, more confident and less stressed out children to once again become the best country in the world. HAPPY REPUBLIC DAY.